Monday, April 22, 2013

White Tanks Angels Foundation


The “White Tanks Angels” Foundation

My name is Miranda Rhuda, in recent years I found that my mother had passed (after a 12 year search) and was placed in the ground at White Tanks Cemetery, Goodyear, Arizona. I am from Ohio. Due to financial strains and being a mother of 3 small children, I am unable to travel to Arizona to visit my mother’s grave. My story has been published by various News organizations, online bloggers, etc… And I have had many people, what I believe are God’s angels or Good Samaritans, that have stepped up and offered to visit my mother’s grave for me. Some people have offered to tend to it permanently. I was upset that my mother was only recognized by a brass marker in the ground with her date of death on it. Those markers do signify in any way, or give recognition to, the fact that Joyce Patterson who died March 1, 2007 was a MOTHER, SISTER, DAUGHTER, GRANDMOTHER, etc…  For whatever reason, the cemetery has a sign that says NO PRIVATE MARKERS allowed. But, someone who read my story, cared enough that they purchased a stone for my mother’s grave that says MOTHER. This act of kindness made a world’s difference for me. The only thing that has gotten me through the awful journey of my mother’s life and death is the kindness of complete strangers offered to me time and time again. I have always believe in God, but after experiencing this journey, I know without a doubt in my mind that the Lord has provided me with Angels that have comforted me, offered peace and closure along the way.

Through my journey, I have met and come across many people who have reached out to me that also have loved ones at White Tanks. They have the same concerns that I do of not being able to visit or care for their loved ones grave site. So, from all the way up in Ohio, I am reaching out to those who have volunteered to help me, churches already involved at White Tanks and any other individuals interested in staffing a volunteer organization that will assist these out of range loved ones with gaining some closure and comfort.

What Will the White Tanks Angels Foundation Volunteers Do?

Upon request of family members, volunteers will be asked to purchase specific items that are of a personal nature to the deceased and visit their grave to place these objects.  Funds will be provided by the family or foundation as needed if the volunteer cannot. We will ask that pictures or video be taken by the volunteer while tending to the grave and leaving them there on behalf of the family/friends of the deceased. Pictures should then be sent to the family via e-mail. The pictures being sent to the family allows them to feel (at least somewhat) like they were able to be there. It provides confirmation that it has been done and gives them peace of mind in seeing that there is more there than just a plain brass marker there. For many of us with loved ones at White Tanks, we were never able to say goodbye to our loved ones. Living with the guilt of being disassociated from your family is hard enough, then to compound that with the thought of the person dying alone; it makes the grieving process almost unbearable. Being able to have someone visit on their behalf to speak a few words from them and leaving something sentimental can give at least a little remedy to the guilt they are plagued with.

How Can I Get Involved? What Can I Do to Help?

If you are interested in volunteering, want more information or need these services, please send an email request to Miranda Rhuda at cleaning44870@gmail.com  Subject line: White Tanks  or you can send a text to 419-602-7147

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Thank you Miranda. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that you are still on your campaign, hoping to help others. Your story still touches me. As I emailed you before, I remember your mother and your uncle Loren very well. Separately, they used to come in to the room and talk to me after school at Norwalk Middle School. Your mother was one of my favorites in my first year of teaching. She was always sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, I can not thank you enough for your kind words about my mother. She unfortunately fell mentally ill due to abuse endured in younger years. I know the kindred spirit she truly was despite the monster (mental illness and alcohol abuse) that devoured her in later years. I know that she would want me to help others and it is why I choose to do it. The only way to redeem a bad situation is to create something good of it. I feel that the more people I help, the more honor I can bring to my mother's death and her life won't be wasted... something good will come. Again, thank you so much! And I am happy to say that her remains are coming home in the coming month! Finally, she will be with me (family) where she belongs!

      Delete
  3. Larry, your kind words are appreciated. It is always nice to be reminded what a wonderful person she was. Of course, I remember her as being wonderful, she was my mother! However, hearing it from others validates and confirms it. It's helpful for people to hold onto the memory of her before her illness and alcoholism.

    And Margaret, we will go ahead and get someone to visit your loved one. I am working on that request right now, I will keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete