Friday, April 26, 2013

Letter Received About White Tanks Cemetery


I am so saddened to hear your story. I can't imagine what it felt like to find your mother's obituary like that. Nothing I do can undo how her life story went, but  I hope you can find some small piece of comfort knowing that your mother is and will continue to be more than a one line obituary.

I go to White Tanks Cemetery often. Every soul resting there is important to me and has a special place in my heart. The stories of the people laid to rest there are often sad and tragic, if the person's name is even known at all. I walk up and down the rows, saying each name I pass aloud and cherishing the the fact that they were, and still are, a part of all our lives. I feel that everyone on this planet is a part of one family. Every life is valid and special to me.

As I have done with Miranda's mom, I will visit your mother's place each time I go. I leave little trinkets or flowers or sketch things in the dirt, hearts and symbols etc, just to leave some love. Miranda told me about her mother, how she was creative and liked home-made things and I do my best to honor and celebrate that each time I visit. I try to take pictures each time and email them, but very often my phone won't take the pictures or they won't email or upload. For some reason electronics just don't function well out there.

I attached a pretty recent picture of the rose fields that stretch for miles just on the other side of the dirt road from the cemetery. It really is a beautiful place. Heart breaking and still, but it has a quiet beauty that I have never seen anywhere else.

If you can't find her plot number I can look for her based on the date she passed. Burials are done one next to the other so knowing the date will narrow my search area down considerably. I will keep your mom's love of dogs in mind. Please feel free to tell me anything about her.

There are other's who understand the circumstances of White Tanks Cemetery. Some by choice, others by circumstance. I'm sure you know all the burials are done by prison inmates. From what I have heard the program is life changing for those chosen to participate. It's humbling and real and has a profound effect on the prisoners. They stand in place of loved ones and say a prayer with a minister for each burial. Once a year a church group gathers at the cemetery and has a ceremony where the name of each person buried that year is read aloud and a flower placed on their grave. As I said before, I tried to take pictures of all the flowers placed around, but my camera wouldn't have it. 

I will go out to the cemetery next week and do my best to locate your mom and send some pictures, for you as well Miranda. If either of you have something special you would like me to do please don't hesitate to ask. Any bit of peace a I can offer another person brings peace to me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment