Monday, April 29, 2013

Letter Received today from yet another disappointed loved one

(I have made a commitment to not release anyone's name without permission, but I feel it is so important to share these stories with everyone so that they can understand how WIDE SPREAD this issues truly is...)


Dear Miranda,
My brother who has been estranged from the family for about 10 or more years died on Feb 2, 2013 and was buried on Feb 23, 2013  at White Tanks. The Abel Funeral Director told me it was a well cared for cemetery. Then I saw the photos today.

I contacted the Maricopa County Burial Dept. to ask for the location of his burial site. I have yet to get called back.

I would like to have a death  certificate. I filled out the application on line. I sent a photo of my passport, a notarized signature, and a copy of my Dad's obituary who has the same name as my brother and names him as his son and me as a sister. All documents were returned to me today saying I haven't given them enough documentation. 

This p.m. I received your site with stories of so many people who want to bring their loved ones home and SHOULD BE allowed to do it. We do not know how many are buried on top of one another. One witness says that a cement slab is put on top of the "casket". This should be stopped at once. I am sure the politicians do not know this. Letters should be written in the local newspapers and a local TV program should be advised....maybe CNN would like the storry.There is no justice and I am going to bring my brother home no matter what!

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother and the devastating circumstances surrounding his burial. I wanted to reach out to you and hopefully offer you a small bit of peace. I am a volunteer with the White Tanks Angels Foundation and I go out and tend to grave sites of families who cannot do so themselves.
    First of all, many pictures and published stories are to the most negative degree possible. Tragedy is a welcomed story these days and it seems most publications won't hesitate to exploit grieving families.
    A little bit of information on Arizona - Many of Arizona's cemeteries are dirt and stone. Being in the desert, especially in the valley where we are, the lack of water makes growing grassy landscapes for the cemeteries like they do elsewhere a challenge. Our military cemetery is all dirt and rock as well. So please don't take the lack of landscape as a lack of care. Arizona is just a dry dusty place. But just a few steps outside of the cemetery gate is a rose farm field. Acres and acres and roses in every color neighboring the cemetery. It's an amazing and beautiful sight when they are all in bloom.
    Also, we have summer monsoon storms and flash flooding. This causes a lot of soil disturbance especially in areas that are not settled, such as cemeteries and farm land. The concrete that is placed over each person is not a slab, it is more of a bowl. It is a required process in AZ, and this includes the military cemeteries as well. The soil collapse from storms and flooding could cause a major problem for burials. The concrete bowls are placed over the caskets to protect them. They act as a shield against water and sinking soil. The White Tanks cemetery is very good about repairing any damage from the storms quickly. And I promise you, no one is being buried on top of anyone else. I have been out there more times than I can count and they are placed to rest in rows just like any other cemetery.
    Reading your letter just broke my heart. Losing a loved one is an unimaginable pain, and dealing with people that don't respect the families involved is a unacceptable injustice. I hope that someday your brother is returned to you and you have peace and closure. In the meantime, though, I go out to White Tanks to place special items, visit and look after people who have passed in place of their families that cannot be there themselves. I would be honored to make your brother one of the beautiful souls I tend to. If you are interested and haven't done so already, please contact Miranda and let her know if you would like to accept my offer to show your brother the love and respect he deserves while he is out here at White Tanks.
    My love and hugs to you and your family,
    Tawsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you for your care. I too have a sister that was buried there. I feel not enough was done to locate family but she is at peace and rests there now.

      Delete
  2. tawsha, i would like to ask a question ,the love of life is buried out there at white tanks i didnt find out about no one claiming him till it was to late what if i wanted to have his body exhumed and then creamated would white tanks do that let me know please

    ReplyDelete